Macarthur Street Primary School has a proud history. Our school motto ‘Where the Past and Future Meet’ reflects our recognition of the significant contributions the school has made to the education of children in Ballarat and also to the up to date and innovative teaching and learning experiences that happen on a daily basis.
The partnership between home, school and community is actively practised and encouraged to enable the academic and social potential of every child to be realised; the well being of all to be nurtured.
1877 – Macarthur Street Primary was constructed in 1877 and officially opened on 31 May 1878, replacing the Soldiers Hill School, with an initial enrolment of 650 students.
1878 – Macarthur Street State School officially opened. The Head Teacher was Mr William Cox.
1899 – Macarthur Street State School closed for 4 weeks for renovations.
1911 – The first Macarthur Street School Committee was elected. This committee agreed to purchase guernseys for the school football club.
1914 – War was declared. Students began work for the Ballarat Red Cross knitting mufflers and socks.
1916 – Macarthur Street State School was reopened after being remodelled and enlarged to cater for more students.
1917 – The Honour Roll was unveiled containing 208 names of ‘Old Boys’ who served in the Great War.
1919 – The first Mother’s Club was set up to assist “in whatever way necessary for further advancements of the school.”
1929 – Macarthur Street State School celebrated its Golden Jubilee, 50 years since opening.
1931 – ‘Bubbler’ drinking taps were installed and the yard was asphalted.
1937 – Teachers gave weekly tests every Friday morning, covering mathematics, spelling and grammar.
1941 – The Second World War was declared. Macarthur Street Primary School students began collecting food to send to Britain.
1945 – Macarthur Street Primary School was very proud of its newly formed drum and fife band.
1946 – The Rural Training School was established upstairs to provide teachers experience in a small rural school condition.
1959 – Students were provided with free milk to drink each day at school.
1969 – Macarthur Street Primary School had 15 classes most having between 37 to 45 pupils.
1971 – Macarthur Street Primary School students enjoyed playing in a heavy downfall of snow.
1978 – The school celebrated its 100 years since establishment.
2001 – Mr Backwell began as the Principal of Macarthur Street Primary School.
2003 – Macarthur Street Primary School celebrates its 125th Anniversary Reunion.
2015 – Macarthur Street PS has a current enrolment of 95 students.